All About Autism: A Practical Guide for Primary Teachers
All About Autism is an accessible and informative guide for primary school teachers, designed to increase their knowledge and understanding of autism and enhance their toolkit with practical, adaptable strategies to support autistic children in their care.
The book initially explores key traits and terminology, debunks myths and misconceptions, and shines a light on the strengths and abilities of autistic learners. It then introduces readers to a range of easy-to-implement ideas for practice and concrete solutions to provide further support, all with the child at the heart. All About Autism includes:
- Practical strategies tailored to the primary key stages with current research broken down into easily digestible chunks
- Guidance on a range of topics, from the importance of play for developing communication and supporting sensory needs to building peer relationships and social awareness for all
- Strategies to create an autistic-friendly environment and teach in a way that caters to students with different ways of learning
- Advice for helping autistic learners with problem solving and managing demands, tests and bridging the gap between primary and secondary school
- Easy to dip in and out of chapters with signposting to further research, resources and support
Taking a celebratory approach, the guide focuses on difference rather than deficit and weaves together the voices of autistic children and parents alongside practical examples of what high-quality and adapted teaching should look like. It will be essential reading for all primary school educators, SENCOs and parents who are supporting autistic learners, aged 4-11.
15 in stock